Friday, October 07, 2005

Never thought I'd ever create my own blog.

Not that I can't think of reasons why one would create a blog; nor do I think that blogs aren't interesting (they are the next best to reading one's diary!), but I never imagined myself having a blog site.

For once, I definitely am not going to update it that frequently. Though I have an uninterrupted access to the net, I consider it slightly lesser than a sin to update my blog site from my office.

That takes me to the 2nd point - Am I not too old to start writing a blog? Now, why talk about (my) age? I guess there are definitely bloggers who have been writing from the 19th century.. (Note: I'm really not that old, if you count age as the difference between the current year and the year when I was born!!!)

And if at all I overcome my generation's (mhm!) definition of rights and wrongs, what would I update it with - personal encounters with everyday life? Something which I like or don't like? General topics? What??

And wouldn't I expect and check frequently if some unsuspecting surfer stumbled on my site and leave some footprints there?

That takes me to the more general question: Why at all people blog?

1. Human beings' basic, sorry natural instinct is to communicate, make themselves heard. That's why. Then why not talk to the person sitting next to you?

2. Its not necessary that the person sitting next to you really has the mental capacity to understand and digest things that you say...
(Some fellow blogger had written about how breasts fascinate him and how Thiruvalluvar has even written about such topics in Kaamathu paal.. I wanted to say 'Hello, for once, pls. stop pulling him inside such topics - this paal is supposed to talk about man-wife relationships and not (just) about the paal giving organ!!! - Now this blogger need not necessarily worry about what I have to think on this topic.. isn't it an advantage?!)

3. So yes, its easy to hide between your blog site's dashing colours; keep your identity safe and yet you can scream about all things that you want to scream about

4. And wow, it does create a sense of fascination - ala 'Kaadal Kotai' types - every male blogger can expect a Devayani (ok, prob. Heera, that sounds more agreeable) behind every anonymous female (blog) poster (what a word!) and ditto with female bloggers (I mean, they can expect an Ajit..) and live every so blissfully in this happy virtual world.

5. Shut up, there are people who generally want to share information. Yes, I agree with it 100%.

Isn't it such an irony that I raise so many such stupid thoughts and skepticism about blogs in my own blog?!

Then why at all, should I have a blog? Frankly speaking, I find myself having more time currently to have idle thoughts and I thought I'd join the gang (No reading between lines - I'm not saying that all bloggers have so much of free time and they put in their idle thoughts in the blog).

But I was just contemplating the idea, when I stumbled on a blog by one Ms. Nithya Swaminathan - she had raved so much about 'Oru maalai neram' from Gajini.. I wanted to say 'Yes Nithya, I totally agree with you' and I required a blog id to do it.. and that's how this blog site was born..

Now to tell something about my ingenuity (one more reason for creating blogs: You can brag about yourself shamelessly!) - The blog name is Mind T(h)reads... look at the enormity of the word

Mind Treads - basically this blog will talk of the random walks my mind takes now and then
Mind Threads - An attempt to unravel the knots in my mind and to really get their ends
Mana Noolgal (if you translate threads into Tamil, it becomes noolgal, and this also means books) - so it could also mean the books (however meaningless they could be) my mind pens..

I assure you that my future blogs will not carry this much skepticism or news about how great I am. I rather would like to keep it very simple, on a very general level..

That said, let me start on this good day to make my thoughts public – I hope to see more of you visiting my blog and wonder ‘Wish I could write like him…’ (OK, I have started..)

P.S. I had saved this content to be published sometime early in September and I managed to do it now…. Hope, I’d be more disciplined in the future..

2 comments:

Ram C said...

That's a good start Shankar. I enjoyed the way you have narrated the purpose behind starting this blog.. Eventhough I don't agree on some, I accept that it is your perception. I always believe perception differs...

keep writing. I may see a different perception on a subject, where I perceive something differntly.

Activate the 'word verification' in your blogpost - to arrest these sploggers comments..

Shankar & Parvathy said...

Ram, you become special - the first person (i.e. apart from my friends) to leave a comment. Thanks,
Don't take on my comments on blogging too seriously. Its just that devilish horns grew when I wanted to write something on why I wanted to create a blog. Anyway, not all of them are to be ignored.
And thanks for settings to be done for avoiding 'spam' comments.