Thursday, December 22, 2005

Going Crazy with Love...

Its back! Its gone for a while, but it takes some form or the other and surfaces back - either as a movie theme, or from the pages of some innocent looking book, or from some nice melody or more personally - as a question posed to me from someone.

I know thinking about it, is a time wasted on an introspection that goes nowhere. A nice way of self-indulgence. But I admit, its quite interesting too. Its not the concept that makes me uncomfortable, but the definition of it. Its this thing called: Love.

From what I see, read and listen, love is the most fantastic thing in this universe. A person who is in love is so close to God; he creates a heaven for himself in this otherwise miserable world.

The very thought of the beloved is supposed to turn a world inside your body - butterflies start to flutter, heart beats to a music, dreams turn colorful, the mind runs wild. And if its a Bharatiraja movie, angels clad in pure lightning white take shape all around, jiving in slow motion, cooing 'la la la...'.

More visibly, the person gets in to a trance, totally inaccessible to the outside world, gaze gets fixed on to some distant object, taking on mixed expression of kindness and bewilderment. Lips curve into a silly smile and there's a heavy longing sigh that could blow off a Thandoori fire.

Even the most intelligent is supposed to turn dumbest when in love; even the mighty melts to a pool of jelly.

On the contrary, people in love are in bliss in the most miserable of circumstances. They conquer all odds, bear all badly, raise above mountains and oceans and become immortal even if they meet death in this mortal world.

Is this feeling of love so powerful?! What's so special about it? Why aren't people who die for their family, such as for their parents never so adulated?

I've 'supposedly' fell in love (as others put it!) - but the truth is, I just like these people very much, enjoy their company and would very much like to be with them. They share my interests or have some interesting trait in them that attracts me, but nothing more than that. Some girls are just so pretty that its just purely hormonal to feel attracted towards them.

Probably I miss some of them, but I never have been able to feel that I would die or let's say, live only for that ‘one person’.

My friends tell me that I'm too rational which is a bad thing if you're to catch the love bug. Linda Goodman is often quoted: 'Aquarians are not easy preys to love', mhm?! They come up with all these poetic phrases: 'Its not your brain, its your heart'; 'Don't just think, feel..'

I understand what it is to love with your heart, but how can you do so, without loving the person with your mind first? And that way I just don't believe in love at first sight. I mean how can you love a person, by just looking at them once?! Probably you can fall in love with their looks, but not them as a ‘person’.

But I have seen people who don't talk such gibberish like me, who don't have fancy thoughts and ideas, fall in love just like that and are happily married together. I know a friend who has been in to 3 different love bouts (she regarded me as one!) within a span of 6 years. Now she's happily married to her last addict! Good for her!

Its not the feeling of love that appeals to me, but the outcome of it: happiness, which is otherwise so elusive, falls into the laps of people in love. I sometimes envy them for this reason!

I have also heard of other kind of stories: A girl, it seems, was so much in love with one of my friends that she wrote letters dripping of not only love, but also her blood. All the time, she knew that this guy was in love with someone else. The guy’s actual lover, got to know of this, decided to sacrifice; this guy obediently obliged (all in the name of love!) and went on to court this first girl! How very poignant!! It’s a long story after this…

What kind of love is that, which makes a person go so low to crave for a person’s affection?! And what kind of love is that which makes a person go for the above kind of love?!

I’m now confused. And I’m nowhere!

But love just feeds and inspires great men - poets, authors, lyricists, musicians and every living being in this world (Even some species of mice are supposed to have life-long relationships with one stable partner!)!! Leave Tajmahal, I can't imagine what'll happen to our Kollywood if there's no such thing called love. I definitely enjoy lucidly written verses, tuned to the most mellifluous music, crying out the joy of love! For these reasons and more: 'Long live Love!'

2 comments:

Anu said...

Love at first sight is humbuck. You can fall for the beauty of the other person but to fall in love with a person happens only when you get to know the beauty of their heart.

Shankar & Parvathy said...

Thanks Anu, for being with me in this viewpoint..